- ABOUT US
- CONTACT US
HOW TO READ THE REPORT CARD
How to Read the Report Card
It is the end of a difficult marathon which takes a year. It is the harvesting time now, and the fruits are being collected. Some of the students have report cards, which make them and their parents very proud. And there are some students who are not lucky like the fist ones. May be they do not even want to get their report cards. Some of them wish that the school would never be closed so that they could not get their report cards. And some of them forget their reports cards somewhere else.
There is a third group of
students who dont care about the report card. The important thing for them is
that a 12-week holiday starts to have fun after a very boring school year.
Every student report card emphasizes a good message. The important thing is to read the message correctly. How should we read the report to get the true message then? We should first consider the meaning of the report card; a report card shows the performance of the student for the subject he studies in an academic year. It should not be forgotten that the report card measures the success and effort but not intelligence and personality of a student.
A. IF YOU ARE HOLDING A REPORT CARD WHICH HAS GOOD MARKS AND MAKES YOU PROUD
1. If you are happy with the marks and evaluation of the teachers, share your positive ideas and feelings with your son.
2. Do not ignore to reward your child for his success
3. The award does not have to be money or a gift. The words of appreciation are also helpful / acceptable. The award must have a spiritual/moral meaning.
4. The conferment must be relative to the level of success. You should not give a big prize for a small success. It might be difficult to satisfy him when a bigger success is achieved. The gift becomes the target but success.
5. It is not good to give a materialistic award after every success. The child should not expect a gift after every positive behavior.
B. IF YOU ARE HOLDING A REPORT CARD WHICH IS NOT WANTED
1. Perform a self-criticism first.
a. Did you pay attention to him? How about your relations with the school? Did you attend all the meetings?
b. How about your communication with your child? Did you spend some time for your child to solve his problems? Do you speak with him about his extracurricular activities or social life?
c. Did you prepare a suitable environment at home for him to study? Did you try to motivate him to study?
2. Try not to judge the child. If you do so, he will be in defense mode at that instant. Whatever you say, will have no effect.
3. Do not compare him with another one. By this way, he may think that you dont love your child.
4. Do not generalize his negative characteristics. Some who fails in something can be successful in doing another. Because of some failed subjects, you cannot accuse him being a loser. If you do so, he may stop trying to achieve something easily.
Dont make him be offended.
6. Discuss the marks on the report card with him. Listen to his comments. Make him feel that you care his ideas.
7. Ask him what can be done to make the bad marks better.
8. Prepare a plan according to his ideas. Because the plan is made mostly by him, he will not ignore it easily. Try to guide him to prepare a plan which includes short revisions from all subjects. Because in a long holiday, things might be forgotten easily.
PLEASE DO NOT FORGET THAT THE THING YOU INTERPRET IS THE MARKS HE GOT BUT NOT HIS PERSONALITY OR CHARACTERISTICS.